University Gazette

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Carolina People: Meet Stacey Warner

Stacey Warner
Director of Ceremonies and Media Events
16 years working at Carolina

What’s a typical day like in your job?

Anything can pop up in the life of the University, and my office works to make events around what’s happening. We put together many different types of events, including dinners, ceremonies and media announcements, and work with different schools and units when they reach out.

How does your work support Carolina’s mission?

We strive to make Carolina a place that everyone wants to come to and where everyone feels welcome and at home. I love to provide experiences like University Day and Commencement to make that happen.

What do you like most about your work?

I’m very fortunate to get to interact with a wide range of people — students, senior leadership, faculty and
staff — and be truly be involved with each one. I get the opportunity to plan maybe the most special events on campus for the life of the University, such as University Day and Commencement. It means the world to me that I get to have a hand in these events because they are so important to this place — and this is a place I love and cherish.

What is your role with University Day?

As director of ceremonies, it’s my job to make University Day run as seamlessly as possible. My role extends far beyond just the ceremony; I coordinate most of the day’s events. We have a University Day Committee, and I keep them informed on event logistics and run new ideas by them. I’m the keeper of the event schedule and the script, working with all the key players to pull it all together. I work very closely with the speakers, making sure that they have everything that they need. My team takes care of everything from steaming the regalia to handing speakers their script notebooks when they walk out of the door.

What is the planning process for University Day like?

As soon as one University Day is over, I begin preparing for the next. We start planning in the spring, when we select our Distinguished Alumni Award winners. We communicate with them throughout the summer. Since a lot of University Day is based on tradition, a lot of things stay the same from year to year. But, since this year is Carolina’s 225th anniversary, we wanted to do a few extra things to make it special, so there was a little more planning involved this time, but that makes it fun.

Carolina People is a regular feature in each issue of the Gazette that asks one of your fascinating colleagues five questions about the work they do for the University. Do you know someone with an interesting or unique job at Carolina? Please email your suggestions to gazette@unc.edu and put Carolina People in the subject line.