University Gazette

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Employees set the stage for Arts Everywhere Day

For Arts Everywhere Day, the second annual campus-wide celebration of the arts and creativity that calls attention to the strategic Arts Everywhere initiative supporting The Blueprint for Next, Carolina employees worked behind the scenes and in the spotlight with artists, students, campus departments and others to make the celebration a success.  Here’s a look at a few.

Todd McLamb, facilities maintenance technician in the Frank Porter Graham Union, who helped assemble the Before I Die installation.

“We were only halfway through installing the art when students started asking for chalk so they could write down their to-dos. It quickly caught their attention. I think it is a great way for the students or anybody to think deeply about what they would like to accomplish in their lives.”

Margo McIntyre, Coker Arboretum curator, who chose the site for the Seussian Igloo.

“It’s been fun to see the surprise element as people find the igloo. They’ll say, ‘Oh my, what’s that?’ Then they find the door and use it.  We’ve had some families come by and some people studying in it.  So it’s great to have some art in the arboretum and cool to participate in Arts Everywhere.”

Suchi Mohanty, head of the House Undergraduate Library, who helped plan the installation of artist Mary Carter Taub’s installation Right Angles.

“During the planning process with Mary, I explained the role the UL plays in student life, how we support student success and how students and faculty use our services and resources. The Undergraduate Library is a vibrant, creative space that runs off of student energy. When I browsed Mary’s online gallery, I was struck by the color and energy in her work and I thought it reflected the energy and creative spirit of the UL.”

Marc Callahan, baritone and assistant professor of music, who performed Die Winterreise as Andrew Myers created art and pianist Keiko Sekino accompanied.

“Singing a lengthy German song cycle in this public venue while people were talking, eating lunch or just passing by, I was still able to see people really focusing in on the performance.  People were walking through and, all of a sudden, they heard and saw this unexpected thing. Some were obviously thinking, ‘That’s my thing!’ and stayed, while others decided ‘That’s not my thing’ and moved on—but at least they were introduced to it. Andy, Keiko and I wanted to draw people in and help them understand it all at a high artistic level.”

Michael Pierce, accessibility specialist in Facilities Services, who handled ADA and accessibility preparations at all Arts Everywhere sites.

“If a site has interactive parts, I made sure that at least one part of the art is accessible so that people with disabilities can experience it the same as people without a disability. I think Arts Everywhere and the interactive type of art is an important aspect of campus that allows people to have a variety of experiences.  It confirms that art is not only something you look at, but you experience, like the interactiveness of the pianos, and that art also has function. It’s important that when we put this art out there that it’s accessible to everyone.”