University Gazette

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Portraits of U.S. Marines transform Battle Park

A photography exhibition featuring photographs of 10 U.S. Marines transformed Battle Park on Carolina’s campus into a forest of black-and-white portraits.

The exhibition, Garmsir Marines, is by internationally renowned photographer Louie Palu and depicts 10 marines from

The photographer behind Garmsir Marines wanted “portraits that look at you.”

the 1st Battalion, 6th Marines (1/6), currently based at Camp Lejeune. Palu took the photographs in 2008 at a small combat outpost in Garmsir District in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

“I feel like my role in the world is to put a human face to statistics and issues,” Palu said. “I wanted these photos to be personal, so you know who they are, their age and where they were from. I also wanted portraits that looked at you and were confrontational, so you had to face them.”

Co-presented by UNC’s Arts Everywhere and the Click! Photography Festival, Garmsir Marines is the inaugural program in a larger Arts Everywhere initiative to support military-affiliated communities through the arts. The exhibition also coincides with the 100th anniversary of the 1/6, which fought in the landmark World War I Battle of Belleau Wood.

For more information about the exhibit, visit uncgarmsirmarines.com.